Mick's Up in a Search

Sunday, February 17, 2013

Let's Mick's up Some Bananas!

Are you bananas about bananas?!  

Even though they are higher in the glycemic index (you know, the natural sugar they contain), they do have many good nutrients in them.  Plus, they are filling and are a healthy, quick snack.  That sugar content thing I mentioned first... well... that's one reason some personal trainers recommend them for a pre-workout boost.

I received an email once that listed out numerous benefits of and uses for bananas.  (Thanks, Mom!)  For example, the email says:  When you compare it to an apple, it has four times the protein, twice the carbohydrate, three times the phosphorus, five times the vitamin A and iron, and twice the other vitamins and minerals.  Some other vitamins it contains are the B6, B12.

It is also rich in potassium and is one of the best value foods around.

When our church had a lot of bananas in their pantry from generous merchants who donate food, some of us had fun talking about different uses for the bananas, like in smoothies, breads, etc.  I was excited to share my pancake recipe!  I found it from one of the Paleo-food groups I am connected with on Facebook.

This is such a simple and yummy menu item.  I finally found something my kidderz and hubby will eat every day for breakfast, if I let them.  (Not that I prepare it every day, because I don't want them to end up getting tired of the monotony... but even if I don't prepare it, one of them will!)  My teenage son even said, "Really?!  That's it?  That's all there is to it?!  Well, I definitely found the breakfast I'm going to live on as a bachelor."

I promised a friend I'd send her this recipe, so I'm getting it out to all of you now.  Besides, I was already planning to type this up, in honor of National Pancake Day and/or Pancake Day, both of which I missed (February 5th and 12th, respectively).

Ready?  Grab your pencils!

Here's the banana pancake recipe:

Blend together (in a blender) 2 eggs and 1 very ripe banana.

That's it!!

REALLY!!!

That is all there is to it!

Well, of course, you'll want to cook it.

That info is right here:

Fry up the pancake batter in a pan on the stove (greased with coconut oil or butter), just like you would any pancake.  Top with your favorite pancake toppings.  (We like no-sugar berry sauce or natural Maple Syrup.)  You may also add vanilla to the pancake batter, if you'd like to, and/or berries, etc.

Granted, they might not be the prettiest, nor the fluffiest pancakes you've ever made, but I can almost guarantee they are the easiest.

Is that too easy for you?

Are you feeling like you're cheating by using such a simple recipe?

Have no fear.  You're not!

However, if you want to get a little fancier, here's another Paleo-food recipe I read and tried.  Instead of bananas, it uses plantains (another favorite in our house).  Simply blend together these ingredients and fry up in a pan like any pancakes:  2 large green plantains (approximately 2 cups pureed), 4 eggs, 2tsp vanilla, 3 tbsp coconut oil, 1/8 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp baking soda.

There you have it.

Happy Pancake Day a little late.  With these recipes, it's most certainly better late than never!  Mmmmmmmm....




"Then he lay down under the tree. And he fell asleep.
Suddenly an angel touched him. 
The angel said, “Get up and eat.” 
Elijah looked around. 
Near his head he saw a flat cake of bread.
It had been baked over hot coals.
A jar of water was also there.
So Elijah ate and drank.
Then he lay down again.

The angel of the Lord came to him a second time.
He touched him and said, “Get up and eat.
Your journey will be long and hard.”




~

No comments:

Post a Comment