Mick's Up in a Search

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Mick’s up in a Mutiny

Mick’s up Life’s twitter profile states, “Living life as a healthy family can sometimes seem mixed up.”  I say that out of experience.  For example, this week seems a little mixed up.  I think the kidderz are on the verge of declaring mutiny.  It’s a conspiracyHelp!!!
Arrrgh, Matey!
We've had all we can take of them there vittles!

OK.  OK.  It’s not that bad.  It’s just that I am a person who likes routine and patterns.  (A college roommate even told me I’m predictable.  At the time, I found it offensive.  Now, I just accept it, even if it is a quirk.)

My advice, when changing to a healthier lifestyle, is to keep it simple.  That was some of the best advice I received at the beginning.  The problem with it is that the source of the advice doesn’t have children, and is comfortable with monotony, like me.

The kidderz are showing me the need for more than routine.

Simple is good, but remember to mix it up!

I’m telling myself this, too.  My kidderz are at the point where they need a little more variety.  So, this week I’ve had fun revisiting some yummy recipes I almost forgot about.

What are those yummy recipes?

Well, so far this week, we had Gluten-free Fluffy pancakes and Apple-Berry Crisp with Cinnamon-Raisin Ezekiel Toast & Cream Cheese & Cinnamon for breakfast two different days, Gooey Brownies for snack in the afternoon, and our own Banana Cream Pie recipe for an after-church dessert tonight.  (See below for the recipe, which still needs improvement.  Feel free to mix it up however you like.)

I love using amazing resources, like Healing Cuisine by Elise and GOOD FOOD.  I know there are others out there, so please feel free to share them with me!  If you’re looking to reward your new lifestyle with a new cookbook, check out Elise’s Season's Eatings, Lin’s GOOD FOOD cookbook, or a new one I just learned about:  Dr. Axe’s The Real Food Diet Cookbook.

Happy hunting!

Now, for me, it’s time to be off to wash all those dishes I’ve been dirtying!!

Let us not become weary in doing good,
for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.

~

Banana Cream Pie Filling
3 bananas
Stevia to taste
1 tsp vanilla (no sugar, no alcohol)
1/2 can coconut milk

Mash bananas by hand, or blend in a food processor or blender.  Mix in remaining ingredients.

(We're considering adding something to slow the browning of the bananas, as well as vanilla protein powder for more flavoring and thickening.  We still have plenty more playing to do with this recipe to spice it up!)

We use the Maximized Living Almond Pie Crust recipe for a shell to place the pie filling in.  Then we top it all off with our homemade whipped topping, made in a cream whipper (iSi Gourmet Whip) with the ingredients: organic heavy whipping cream, xylitol, and vanilla.

~

No comments:

Post a Comment