Mick's Up in a Search

Friday, December 30, 2011

Mick’s up Toxic Foods

I ran across an informative article today at Fox News.  It’s good timing, since I'm doing it for my family.I‘m writing on toxins, and it lists out toxic foods to avoid.  I’m glad to have this information, since it puts the “why” behind some of the things we try to do to be a healthy family.

We eat grass-fed beefWhy?  Meat from cattle that are fed things other than grass ends up being something our bodies have difficulty digesting properly.  Part of the problem is the ratio of Omega-3 to Omega-6 is totally thrown off.  Some of the benefits of grass-fed beef are found in 7 Foods You Should Never Eat, in Five Surprising Steps to Living Younger Starting Today by Dr. Al Sears, and at Strength Food Life.  To find a local supplier near you, go to Eat Wild, or get your meats online at U.S. Wellness Meats.

Microwave popcorn is something we’ve stayed away from for the past year.  Why? We thought it was just because of negative effects of the microwave oven and the GMO issue with corn.  However, other toxins are discussed in the 7 Foods You Should Never Eat, such as “perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA), in the lining of the bag.”

Potatoes are another item we’ve avoided recently.  Why?  It was difficult for me, since I am a meat-and-potatoes person… and grew up that way.  However, I see now that not only are we avoiding the glycemic index problem, but we are also avoiding the pesticides, etc.  Apparently potatoes are a highly-sprayed crop (as are peanuts), and the toxins are soaked into the food, which means washing and/or peeling them won’t even make the toxins go away.

Unfortunately, we in my family are not big fish eaters, but that doesn’t mean that we haven’t been careful with the little bit of fish we have eaten.  Why?  I was taught by my nutrition coach last year to avoid farm-raised fish.  I look at the label for “wild-caught” and “Alaskan,” and avoid “Atlantic.”  I thought it was for the mercury issue, and now I see it is also because the fish are “higher in contaminants, including carcinogens, PCBs, brominated flame retardants, and pesticides such as dioxin and DDT.... and the most contaminated fish come from Northern Europe, which can be found on American menus.” (Prevention Magazine)

Looking at cows again, we are reminded of the dangers of dairy.  If you drink dairy, be sure to be wise in your selections.  Why?  The hormones can cause lots of problems for us (and I have to wonder if there is something to the theory of hormones in our food sources causing our little girls to mature too quickly).  If the former CEO of the Oregon division of the American Cancer Society avoids certain dairy products, then isn’t that saying something?

Now these last two are the clinchers for me.

We’ve been eating Granny Smith apples almost exclusively, but my family loves most other types of apples, too.  I guess I’m going to have to be even pickier about my purchases, now that I’ve read 7 Foods You Should Never EatWhy?  Again, pesticides come into play.  "Farm workers have higher rates of many cancers... and increasing numbers of studies are starting to link a higher body burden of pesticides (from all sources) with Parkinson's disease.” 

Not only that, but my consideration of no longer purchasing foods in cans is going to have to extend into my tomato selections as well.  Why?  The acid in the tomatoes reacts with the material to make the toxins come out even more.  “The resin linings of tin cans contain bisphenol-A, a synthetic estrogen that has been linked to ailments ranging from reproductive problems to heart disease, diabetes, and obesity.”

I hope this information has been as eye-opening for you as it has for me.  It seems we'll be making more decisions to buy certain foods that are organic and in glass containers, etc., if we don't want our family members suffering from the chronic, and sometimes fatal, ailments of today.  After all, as Eleanor Roosevelt said, “In the long run, we shape our lives, and we shape ourselves.  The process never ends until we die.  And the choices we make are ultimately our own responsibility.”


He makes grass grow for the cattle, and plants for people to cultivate
— bringing forth food from the earth:
Psalm 104:14 (NIV)


~

No comments:

Post a Comment