Mick's Up in a Search

Friday, September 9, 2011

Mick's up Conversation

Frozen Berries mixed with Changed Lives!
Growing up as a shy child, and then never wanting to be in the spotlight, whether on stage or in a group, conversation has never been one of my best characteristics.  I am working to improve, though!  My husband saw a big change in me, during my years as circuit coach at our local Curves club.  My next calling at a Maximized Living Health Center took me a step... or eight... or nine... or ten... further.

There is a concept (I was just reminded of today in a Facebook post) that always deserves repeating: The more you let someone talk about themselves, the more they enjoy your conversation.  That is something I need to tell myself over and over again.  My Max Liv boss would remind me often to make it about the other person, and he was great at pointing out how what I thought was about the other person was really about me.  Ugh!  How I hated that, but oh how I loved it at the same time, because not only did it help me to grow, but it also helped to make others feel as special as they truly are.  I have to consciously tell myself how to make conversation with someone, but it feels so good to succeed at it! 

Coming out of the store with a cart full of groceries this morning, I ran into someone God put right in front of me.  That's the only explanation.  There is no reason for our paths to cross.  I knew her when I worked at Curves and she was a member there.  When seeing someone in situations like that, my instinct is to run and hide, but I make myself go out of my way to get the person's attention and let her know she's special enough to be recognized and remembered.  I'm so glad I did!  A life might be saved because of  this obedience!

We had a great conversation, as I initially avoided conversation about me, and instead listened as she talked about her kidderz.  The conversation eventually lead to giving her information about Maximized Living!!  Giving my husband's testimonial about how Maximized Living helped do away with his fibromyalgia then turned the conversation to her sister-in-law.  I am now praying it changes the life of her fibromyalgia-victimized sister-in-law in Florida!  God is amazing, bringing people together to change lives around the world.  May it be so, Lord!

Sixteen years ago, at the Nazarene International Laymen's Conference in Orlando, Florida, a speaker (Alan Nelson, if my memory serves me correctly) reminded us that God places us where we are for a reason, so make the most of it.  For example, since it's not a mistake that we live next to our neighbor, make it count.  Talk to them.  Get to know them.  God has work for us to do while we're here in this location.  As the speaker at the workshop said, what we do affects those around us, even if we don't think so.  "It's all ripples in the pond."

In other words, God works in all of our situations.  We know that.  The Bible tells us that:  "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." Romans 8:27-29 New International Version  Even in the little things, like running into someone from the past, God makes use of every situation.

Here are two inspirational quotes from a Maximized Living doctor's Facebook page today:

"Wow, 1 year ago today I celebrated my birthday at Northwestern hospital, diagnosed with stage 4 bonemarrow/blood cancer, metastatic that spread to my brain, this time last year they gave me a few months or weeks to live...they were right...so I left there, got to the cause and this year I'm celebrating my birthday with my wife and children...'There is nothing you can't do! It's not over till it's over!!!'

"These doctors need to see it's possible...How many people have died, given up, because they lost hope!!!" - Dr. Charles Majors

That's right.  How many people have given up hope and died, because we did not take the time to stop and talk to them (or their loved one) to tell them about the hope we know?  My frozen berries might have thawed, while I stood outside in the morning sunshine talking to Debbie today, but it is well worth it, since a precious lady several hundreds of miles away will get her life back… will get the healing she deserves… and will live life to the max!

View this video from that same Maximized Living doctor, Dr. Charles Majors:

No comments:

Post a Comment