Mick's Up in a Search

Thursday, October 13, 2011

It’s a Mick's of Toxins

Where do we find toxins?With all this talk of toxins, you may be wondering, “Where do we find toxins and why are they everywhere?”

It’s crazy.  I never used to worry about this stuff.  I thought only "extremists" got hung up on avoiding everything “normal.”  I had no desire to be part of that life.

Then I started thinking beyond myself.

It finally hit me.  Why do I want to be selfish and not change my lifestyle to make a healthier family?  Why do I want to curse my children and my husband with unhealthy living, just so I don’t have to go out of my comfort zone?

I love my family more than that!

So, I took a deep breath, and dove in.

I really dove in!  I chose to stop buying anything now considered “junk food” by the new definition.  All recipes were altered to follow guidelines I was given, and really yummy new recipes jumped to the top of the list of favorites.  The kitchen got emptied of its toxic items:  food and hardware.  Ingredient lists were read on EVERYTHING, and the kitchen, bathrooms, and laundry room were filled with new healthy choices.

Shopping and cooking took a bit longer in those first days (and months).  OK, more than a bit… but it had become a decision as serious as life or death.  Do I want to make things easier on me, at the risk of filling my  husband with toxins, killing him slowly, and possibly leading him into a life of torture with such illnesses as Alzheimer’s Disease?  Do I want to teach my children to live in such a way that would increase their risks of suffering from heart disease or cancer?

Simply, the answer to all of that is, “NO!”

I still don’t consider us extremists or nutcases.  We simply look at ingredients of all things we purchase, and do our best to minimize the toxins we allow into our home and our bodies.
What kinds of things do we look for, and what can we normal, ordinary, every-day families do about it? 

The Toxic Top 10 is a great reference, for example:
  • Cleaning/Personal Care Products:  When considering ingredients, if you can’t eat it, don’t use it.
  • Pesticides and Herbicides:  Follow the list of Clean 15 and Dirty Dozen
  • Meats/Protein:  There are so many hormones and antibiotics injected into our food sources these days, and there are many harmful effects.  We look for grass-fed beef, raw-milk products, free-range poultry and eggs, and we avoid pork.  A great source is:  Beyond Organic
  • Preservatives/Additives/Rancid Fats/etc.
    • Neurotoxins/Excitotoxins: We do not consume any product with any artificial/chemical sweetener, such as sucralose/splenda, aspartame, saccharin, ace-k, neotame, nor with MSG (see next bullet).
    • MSG: There are many products with this in it. Many of you already know the effects MSG can have on a body, because you’re already suffering from such things as headaches. Other MSG-containing ingredients to look out for are yeast extract, torula yeast, autolyzed or hydrolyzed vegetable proteins.  Mike Adams has a book to help you look for the things to avoid in the grocery store. Pick up a copy of Grocery Warning System to fill your grocery cart with healing foods, and stop being one of the 95% of Americans who fill their carts with ingredients known to cause cancer!
    • Sugar:  We stay away from buying foods with sugar, high fructose corn syrup, and we go so far as to stay away from even natural ones (to keep inflammation down as much as possible), such as evaporated cane juice, rice syrup, barley malt, honey, and agave nectar (although we sometimes splurge with allowing agave-sweetened foods or honey).  We can choose alternatives for our Sweeteners.
    • Rancid Fats/OilsMark’s Daily Apple touches on what to avoid.

  • Pots and Pans:  We threw out our Teflon and other unsafe non-stick kitchen items.
  • Environment/Biotoxins/Molds:  Check around your house, and keep it as safe as possible.  Fight off toxins with a detox for your body, like the one my family uses:  Daily Detox
  • Medicines:  Stay away!  Find alternatives, when possible!  Incorporate 5 simple steps to healthy living, to reduce inflammation and toxicity, and to get your brain’s messages throughout your entire body, and to have healthy cells that can function properly.  Then your body can begin to heal, and  you can eventually get off your meds.  (My husband and I did!  Yay!)
How can we avoid toxins?

Some extra links for more research:
The Stinky Facts About Smelling Good
Propylene Glycol
Fluoride Alert
Natural News:  Chemicals
Natural News:  Organic Foods
Natural News:  Ingredients
Natural News:  Products to Watch
Grocery Warning System
Dr. Russell Blaylock:  Excitotoxins
SLS
Journal of the American College of Toxicology:  SLS
Other Chemicals to Avoid






“Give the people these instructions,
so that no one may be open to blame.
Anyone who does not provide for their relatives,
and especially for their own household,
has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.”
1 Timothy 5:7-9 (NIV)

~

No comments:

Post a Comment